The British Gas Energy Trust has two grants aimed at helping households with energy debts. One is British Gas customers and one for customers of other suppliers.
You don’t have to be a British Gas customer to apply.
British Gas Winter Fund (British Gas customers only)
British Gas customers can apply for grants between £250 and £750 to help clear energy bill arrears.
To be eligible for the grant, the following criteria apply:
- Have electricity/gas debt between £250 and £750
- To clear the outstanding debt on a current gas, electricity, or dual-fuel account
- Do not have savings above £1,000
- Proof of all household income
- Meter readings for your gas and/or electricity.
Individuals and Families Fund (Customers of other energy providers)
The Individuals and families fund is available to customers of any energy provider. Please check with your own energy supplier for similar schemes through them before applying here.
The following criteria apply:
- You have electric and/or gas debt
- You want to clear an outstanding debt gas and/or electric
- You do not have savings above £1,000
- You have received help from a money advice agency – CAB/CAP/Stepchange
- You have not received a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust in the last two years
- Proof of money advice received in the past three months
- Proof of household income
- Meter readings
- Recent bill showing arrears
To apply, you will need to register and complete the online application visit: Grants Available – British Gas Energy Trust
If you are a tenant with Manningham Housing and need support, please contact Faisal Khan, Welfare Benefits and Financial Support Officer at Manningham Housing Association on 01274 771144.