Anti-Social Behaviour

RSS Inside Housing


What do we mean by ASB?

We want all of our tenants and their families to enjoy living in their home and in neighbourhoods that are pleasant places to live. Unfortunately, sometimes people are not good neighbours.

ASB stands for ‘Anti-Social Behaviour’ and covers a range of actions that may cause distress, fear or upset other people.

The Government describe ASB as:

‘Any aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person’s quality of life.’

This may include:

• Noise nuisance – loud music, banging of doors or shouting
• Pets – Dogs barking or pets fouling
• Swearing or other offensive language. Threatening, intimidating or violent behaviour
• Racial or other forms of harassment, ie. homophobia and domestic violence
• Vandalism, graffiti or damage
• Drug dealing.

How to report ASB

• In the first instance talk to your Neighbourhood Officer or phone us on 01274 77 11 44.
If you think you might be in danger, don’t call us first – call the police on 0845 606 0606 or dial 999!

Alternatively please complete the form below. Once we have received your email and it has been logged, it will be deleted from our inbox.

Name *

Address *

Home Tel. No

Mobile No

Email *

Brief details of your ASB incident*

I accept the privacy policy

I would like to receive informational emails from Manningham Housing


• Write to us at: Manningham Housing Association, Bank House, 30 Manor Row, Bradford, BD1 4QE

What Can I Do?

If your issue is not a serious ASB complaint (i.e. criminal activity, violent attack, drugs, etc), but is something you feel is a minor complaint (i.e. neighbours dog fouling in your garden or noisy neighbours) you could try talking to the person about the problem. If you decide to do this, we advise you to:

  • Try talk to them when you’re not angry or upset
  • Be polite and friendly but firm
  • Explain what the nuisance is and how it is affecting you
  • Keep it short and keep to the facts
  • Listen to their response.

What evidence do I need?

If you have a complaint, it’s always helpful to us if you have evidence to back up your claim.

The types of evidence we may need include:

  • An Incident Diary – Make a diary of all the ASB incidents
  • Record on audio tape – audio recordings can help noise nuisance cases and is good evidence
  • Photographs – pictures are great to show what you are telling us about
  • Make sure you include a letter telling us the date, time and what the picture is showing us.
  • Video – needs to show the date and time.

Remember to think before you act:

  • If you find yourself getting angry during the conversation or if the other person is getting angry, please walk away.
  • If the nuisance is being caused by children, do not speak to them directly always speak to their parent or guardian.
  • Do not retaliate – Two wrongs don’t make a right. Any action you take in retaliation could limit or stop any action we take. Also you could end up having an ASB complaint made against you.