We are 100% Gas Safe!
- We are fully Gas Safe at MHA. We are responsible for ensuring that an annual gas safety check is carried out on each appliance and flue belonging to the Association. We will also carry out a visual check on cookers and other appliances belonging to the tenant.
- These Gas Safety checks are always undertaken by a Gas Safe registered engineer, but we advise that you always check that the engineer is competent. The areas that they are able to work in are clearly marked on the rear of their Gas Safe card. You can also check their registration details at https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/or call the Freephone number 0800 408 5500.
Your gas safety check will always need to be completed within 12 months of the previous check. MHA prides itself in completing 100% of these checks within the anniversary date.
- There are several ways that you can help MHA and aid us in continuing to meet this 100% target
- Allow access to your property at the earliest possible convenience upon receiving an appointment letter
- Let us know as soon as possible if the date arranged is not convenient
- Advise the organisation as early as possible if you are planning a trip away
- Provide the organisation with an up-to-date telephone number and details of anyone we can contact if you are not at the address
- If you receive a letter from MHA in relation to our engineers not being able to gain access to your home then please contact us immediately!
We will work around you
Communication is the key thing. Our engineers are flexible and will work around you. We can always provide an am or pm time slot.
7 Gas Safe Top Tips
- Have all your own gas safety checked every year. MHA undertake this for their own appliances however you are responsible for your own gas appliances for example Cookers
- Find a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area or call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500 (all MHA engineers are Gas Safe Registered, it is required by law.)
- Always ask to see an Engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card and check the back of the card to ensure they are qualified to carry out the specific type of gas work you need. Report someone working without registration or call Gas Safe Register on the free phone number 0800 408 5500.
- Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions. Recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Regularly check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room. Remember you are responsible for your cooker.
- Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose e.g. don’t use a gas oven to heat a room or use a gas barbeque inside the house.
- Always ensure there is enough ventilation for your gas appliances to allow them to burn correctly and make sure you are not blocking any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance.
If you have any queries relating to gas or gas safety please contact the office on
Are you safe from The Silent Killer?
The latest activity from Gas Safe Register targets students living in rented accommodation but is an important message for all. They are promoting a short video that is intended to look like a trailer for the latest Halloween horror called The Silent Killer. The film highlights clues at the end of the trailer, which reveal that the Silent Killer is, in fact, carbon monoxide (CO). The viewer is made aware of what signs to look for that could indicate carbon monoxide poisoning and advises that gas appliances should be checked every 12 months.
You can watch the trailer here and if you’d like to help share this important message you can retweet or share messages from Gas Safe Register on Twitter or Facebook.